Friday, June 26, 2009

Death of a world icon

Yesterday I was deeply saddened by the news that Michael Jackson had passed away. I was in my dining room, had just finished dinner, when my sister called. I am glad I heard it from her, as she knew how big of fan that I was. I believe I still have the vinyl Thriller record album somewhere at my parents house. I had Bad on cassette tape. And the very first cd I ever bought was Dangerous. At first I couldn't believe it, that he had died. I had thought that he wouldn't pass on until I was in my fifties. I always thought he'd be around for a long time. "Jam" and "Human Nature" were two of my favorite songs by him.

I remember trying to sleep but not being able to filter out the music coming from my living room as my dad played and re-played a videotape of "We Are the World." Every Halloween, I'd bring out my Thriller record and play "Thriller" for the trick-or-treaters. My dad remembered this, as he called me last night to see how I was doing, assuming that I had heard the news. He said he remembered me playing "Thriller" and knew that I was probably upset. He was right. I am pretty choked up over the whole thing. After hearing the news, I was distracted for the whole evening. I woke up this morning and then the realization that it really happened hit me. It wasn't a good feeling.

Just as I had watched the funeral proceedings of Princess Diana, I want to be able to see the public ceremony for Michael Jackson on TV. May he rest in peace.

No comments: