Monday, June 15, 2009

Poetry

So I've been a bit bored lately, as my boyfriend has been very busy with school, and besides him I have about two irl (in real life) friends. Then there's my sister. My supposed 'best friend' has disappeared for now, something she does often though. I don't know why she won't call me back. :(

I took myself to the library and checked out some books for me to read while I am here in my room. One of the books I took out is: The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, edited by Karen V. Kukil. It is well-known that Sylvia Plath is a poet that committed suicide. She died at the age of 30.

When I would see my old psychologist, Dr. K, I often shared with him some of my poems. Many of my poems are 'dark' and he mentioned to me that some of what I had written seemed to be along the lines of Sylvia Plath. I hadn't read any of her poems, so I started reading some of them online. Some of her poems can be found at http://www.angelfire.com/tn/plath/. I particularly like "Mirror".

Although I write poetry, I am very uneducated on the subject. I got into poetry when I was suicidal at 14, and wanted an outlet from my pain. One day in the library, many years later, I stumbled across a book of poems by Nikki Giovanni. She is my favorite poet.

1 comment:

-Sara Cempaka- said...

I love Slyvia Path and Emily Dickinson..
Anyway I write stuff..maybe u should come by and visit my blogs..or be a follower..
feel free to comment