Wednesday, September 24, 2008

EMDR and Brainspotting

So I talked to Jeanne on the phone this morning. We are going to try EMDR and Brainspotting in my future sessions with her. EMDR, according to the Cognitive Therapy Associates website is as follows:

"Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapeutic technique used by licensed mental health practitioners who are trained in this protocol to facilitate the recovery of those suffering from aftereffects of traumatic events. In this technique, the therapist guides the person in right/left eye movement and other right/left brain stimulation as he or she recounts the event. Also, the person gets to choose their actions rather than feeling powerless over his or her reactions. The goal is to release blocked emotional experience (memories and distress) as well as successful integration of the event, resulting in symptom relief and healing."

Brainspotting, according to the website http://www.robertweiszphd.com/Brainspotting/ is as follows:

"Brainspotting is a powerful, focused treatment method that works by identifying, processing and releasing core neurophysiological sources of emotional/body pain, trauma, dissociation and a variety of other challenging symptoms. Brainspotting is a simultaneous form of diagnosis and treatment, enhanced with Biolateral sound, which is deep, direct, and powerful yet focused and containing."

I don't quite understand either of these methods just yet, so I can't give much further info on them. Jeanne told me to go to the EMDRIA website; EMDRIA stands for EMDR International Association. For the next four days she is going to attend a course for Brainspotting. She is already trained in EMDR and will be helping me deal with the strength of my emotions when I feel like I have little to no control over a situation. These methods are ultimately going to be treating my PTSD.

Yesterday I saw Dr. K, and he gave me the worksheets to get started on the cognitive therapy exercises he wants me to do. Hopefully all of these forms of therapy will help me feel a little better than I have been.

No comments: