Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Mental"

So I am kind of annoyed/angered by a new show coming out called Mental. They seemed to try to sell the show by playing a new song by The Fray during the commercial advertisement. I just get a bad feeling that this show is going to portray mental illness poorly/in a bad light. If people want to do a show on mental illness they should put a PBS type special on the major networks so more people will get to see the facts. But, I guess that is not entertaining enough. I don't think the show starts until next Tuesday, and I am not sure if I will watch it. I could be wrong, but I am kinda afraid to watch it and get insulted. I probably understand schizophrenia better that the writers of the show do. Unless one or more of the writers are schizophrenic. Schizophrenia is most often portrayed in a very negative light in the media. I am sure most people have seen on the news or heard about at least one person that committed a crime and had a history of mental illness.

This brings me back to a topic of one of my previous posts, Kendra's Law. I really don't feel like rehashing it.

I guess I am a bit sensitive on the subject of mental illness. But I have to live with it. I have to have the diagnosis of Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressed Type and I have to share that with anyone I get close to at some point in time. I have to deal with their preconceived notions of what schizophrenia is and how schizophrenics are. Many people will probably not get to know me because of society's attitude. I feel cheated.

No comments: