Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Awkwardness

My dad hired his friend from work, Eric, and my boyfriend to move my grandmother's furniture. Eric is in his early twenties, married, and has a child. Eventually it had to happen- the questions. "What does your daughter do?" My dad said that I used to work at the hospital and he doesn't think I am working right now. Then Eric asked: "How does she pay rent?" My dad just simply said that I share a house with two other women and left it at that.

Trying to appear not mentally ill to someone is harder than one might think. It usually involves a lie that just leads to more and more lies. My dad obviously does not want Eric to know about my situation. However, part of the move involved bringing furniture to my house. Apparently sometime after Eric and my boyfriend moved my furniture into the house, Eric mentioned to my dad that he "knew my house." He said that he used to work for the cable company. I don't know what he knows about my house, except I know that he has either shut off the cable here or dealt with collecting payments from us. We have a terrible record here in terms of paying our cable bill. We are always behind in payments, and for the three years I've been living here, the cable was completely shut off once. My housemates have told the cable company many excuses, such as: "my mother is dying." It is highly possible that one of them has said that she is on disability and is waiting for her next check. My dad felt extremely awkward after Eric mentioned knowing my house. It's a small world apparently.

I feel a little bit bad that my dad tried to hide my situation from Eric. It is just a really awkward situation. I am trying to dig myself out of the whole situation, but I am waiting for civil service to get back to me about my test score and possible interviews. Civil service is my best option for employment, as the benefits are very good. In order for me to get off of disability, I would need a job that is both secure and has good health benefits.

So I have my furniture now and my room looks so much better. I have so much more space to put things. I am pretty happy with my room now, for once.

No comments: